Saturday, July 28, 2012

Gender (myth) bender

Gender is definitely an interesting issue during pregnancy. Me, I'd been curious what my baby would be ever since the doctor confirmed my home test pack. Personally, of course I don't mind if it's a boy or a girl. If it's a boy, then we'll try as hard as possible to make the second one a girl, and vice versa.

Wait, there's gonna be a second one?

More on that later. Waaay later.

This baby's sex, however, is not merely interesting for the parents, but also to other people. As I mention in an earlier post, Bangun's relatives (and a few of mine) pooled a bet on the gender. When we gathered for my Syukuran last month to celebrate the 4th month of the pregnancy, at one point they called me and told me to pose, side to side, front and back, to "read" the sex of Bob. Of course it's only for fun, and I think the note's gone by now anyway.

Honestly, I still can't fathom how can a person look at a pregnant woman and tell her baby's gender. One of the most well-known myths is, the baby's a boy if the mother doesn't look glowing during the pregnancy. In other words, if you look ugly for nine months, you're probably having a boy.

Meanwhile, of course that myth is bullshit. I've seen friends who are carrying boys and still look pretty as ever, and on the other hands, I also know some friends who look ignorant with their looks while having little girls inside. 

How about me? Well, many people have assumed that I'm having a boy. Am I offended? A little. But I can't blame them because naturally, I don't like putting on make-ups. And true, ever since I got pregnant in this very sunny city of Balikpapan, I try to put on less and less layer of clothes, and only wear the most casual ones. Being sick and nauseous on the first two months didn't help with the self-grooming, either. Forget the hair salon, I couldn't even left the house for an hour without throwing up. Plus, my face has always been somewhat on the oily side, and pimple is the only sign of puberty that hasn't left me since high school.

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I was pretty sure I was carrying a baby boy. But now, as time passed and so did the sickness, I find myself wanting to dress up, at least by my standard. Although still, I haven't used most tools in my cosmetic bags. And the last two times we saw two different ob-gyns, they told us this is gonna be a girl.

Dun dun dunnn.

And right up to this day, most people who look at me still assume it's a boy. Rada sialan juga sih. But oh well who cares, seriously. I now enjoy the looks on their faces when I say it's a girl and ask them why do they think it's a boy.


No comments: