Friday, February 24, 2012

On being an intern

As part of its CSR programs, the company I work at give out internship opportunities to undergraduates. They're scattered in different factories and plantations, but most of them end up here in Communications. One period of internship is three months, so for the past two years, we certainly have met with various batches of interns with various levels of manner, work ethic and stupidity.
Now, the problem is, I don't cope well with slow, menye-menye kids. I just don't have the patience. For God's sake, I made one of the interns cry a few months ago because she simply could not keep up with me, her supervisor.

It's not like I don't understand what it's like being an intern. Thankfully, my uni had two internship programs and I had the chance to work in a real office twice before I graduated. So I know how it feels to be the youngest employee, to not know any single thing about office ethics, and to feel uncomfortably out of place during the first days.

I didn't even know how to use the copy and fax machines back then. But what do you do, kids? You learn. And after a few weeks, you're expected to blend in instead of mumble “Kok aku yang disuruh” every time you receive a task.

So with this note, maybe read these little tips before being an intern. Or maybe pass them to the younger set of kids.

1. Learn about the company before your first day, at least from the web site. Know the products. We're not asking you to memorize our latest net profit, but at least save the embarrassment of “Oh, Indom*lk itu produknya sini juga?”

2. As an intern, there's an unwritten rule that you should say yes to any kind of task you're told. As long as it's still in the work scope, of course. But don't ever say “nggak bisa” even before your supervisor finishes her sentence.

3. Wear decent clothes. They don't have to be black suit and sky-high heels, but please remember this is not your uni. Mini skirt, bright-colored loose tees, flip-flops are better kept away in the closet for the next three months. Even if you're interning at a media outlet, please know your limit.

4. Your supervisor is not your mom. You don't whine, you don't sulk, especially not to this supervisor, who will make your life hell if you ever do those things above.

5. We employees were once college students. We know the tricks of “getting sick” during an important day, or “family affairs” almost every Friday afternoon. Stop. Making. Excuses. Get your social life back after three months.

6. Talk to people from different divisions. They won't bite. In fact, they are the ones who might help you get a job someday. Get out of your comfortable bubble and chat with people in the business. Tag along on external meetings. I found this one very helpful for me back then.

7. It doesn't hurt to know how the copy machine work.

I wasn't the best intern myself, but it was certainly a very memorable experience and proven to be useful in the future. I got my first job right after I graduated thanks to someone I met during the internship. So please, college kids, please stop being stupid and make my day brighter.

No comments: